The name Muharram itself translates into ‘sacred’. Thus, Muharram is a sacred month. In addition to that, Allah Almighty made it more sacred by mentioning it in Quran in the same context.
Allah says in Quran: “Four of them (Zil-Qadah, Zil-ijjah, Muharram and Rajab) are sacred.” (Surah At-Tawbah: 36)
What are the Events That Happened on the Day of Ashura?
The Day of Ashura is almost a turning point for the world and the humanity, through the events happened on it…
Allah bestowed salvation to His ten prophets on the Day of Ashura :
“Prophet Nuh’s arc landed on Mount Judi on the Day of Ashura. He and his companions spent the day fasting to thank Allah. Animals didn’t eat anything either.
Allah split the sea for Beni Israel (the Children of Israel) on the Day of Ashura.
Allah accepted the repentances of Prophet Adam and the people of Prophet Yusuf (Joseph) on the Day of Ashura, too. Besides, Prophet Abraham was born on that day.” (Tabarani)
On the Day of Ashura :
1. Allah bestowed Prophet Moses the miracle of splitting the Red Sea, saved him with his people and flooded the Pharaoh and his soldiers.
2. Prophet Nuh’s arc landed on Mount Judi.
3. Prophet Yunus (Jonah) got out of the belly of the fish.
4. Allah (swt) accepted Prophet Adam’s repentance on Ashura.
5. Prophet Yusuf (Joseph) came out of the well that he was thrown.
6. Prophet Isa (Jesus) was born on Ashura and and ascended to the heaven on Ashura, as well.
7. Prophet Dawud’s (David) repentance was accepted.
8. Prophet Abraham was born.
9. Prophet Yaqup (Jacop)’s eyesight, which he had lost years ago was restored.
10 Ayni (ra) states that:” Some people mentions Idris (Enocha), Ayyub (Job) and Sulayman (Solomon) amongst the ten prophets, because Idrıs was ascented to the heaven on that day. Ayyub recovered from his illness and Sulayman was bestowed wealth. (Sahihi Muslim)
May Allah Almighty help us to start the Islamic Calendar in a true Islamic spirit and allow us to reap the numerous bounties of this month. Ameen !